Tuesday, March 3, 2015

On the Road Again: Las Vegas - Border Grill Brunch

By Lauren Rosalanko


This past weekend I was lucky enough to escape the snow and rain for sunnier skies and 70+ degree weather in Las Vegas, NV. While there is plenty to do in Las Vegas testing out a variety of restaurants was definitely at the top of my list. Something that I noticed and loved about Las Vegas is their ability to have famous restaurants from across the US all in one location.


For example, whenever I have the chance to visit Santa Monica, CA I always visit the Border Grill and there are two in Vegas. I decided to try out the Border Brunch on Sunday morning at their Mandalay Bay location, featuring over twenty small plates to choose from. Unlimited small plates are $34.99 and you can choose to add bottomless mimosas for $10. I started off on the savory side with the Peruvian Shrimp & Grits as well as the Seasonal Fruit Salad. Shrimp and grits are one of my favorite dishes, this had just enough spice and the grits paired perfectly with parmesan cheese. While fruit salad typically is a "boring" choice, this one was not at all! It was topped with house-made granola, cinnamon buñuelo cone and topped with a cayenne yogurt drizzle.


Next up was the Yucatan Eggs Benedict. If my first two plates were not good enough, this dish went even further and was hands down my favorite for creativity and the fact that eggs benedict is one of my overall favorite breakfast dishes. Rather than have a typical english muffin, the egg is atop a manchego cheese biscuit topped with a tender, roast pork, the egg, and finally a rich hollandaise. It was rich, flavorful and perfectly cooked. 



To top it off I chose the Red Velvet Johnny Cakes as my dessert. They were topped with candied pecans, ancho chocolate shavings, wild berry syrup. The chocolate shavings were slightly melted on top of the johnny cakes and paired with a natural wild berry syrup. I wish I had been less full and could have tried more, but lucky for me my friend ordered the Bananas Foster Crepes so I got to sneak a bite of those with a sweet, caramelized banana and a light maple glaze. 



If you are traveling to Las Vegas be sure to stop by the Border Grill. The brunch is fabulous and offered from 10-3pm on both Saturday and Sunday, but their dinner options are also amazing too. The service was very professional and everything came out quickly after ordering. Lucky for us there are now two locations in Las Vegas, one at Mandalay Bay and the other at the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace!

Border Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments: