Thursday, February 19, 2015

First Taste: Mango Tree

I fell in love with Thailand and everything about their cuisine on my first visit to the country in 2011.  I was so excited to hear that a new and authentic Thai restaurant, Mango Tree, was coming to DC.  I recently got a taste for myself and was not disappointed.


Initial Thoughts: 


Design and Decor: 6,800-square foot space infusing Thai design with European sophistication.

Food: Authentic Thai dishes from each of the four main culinary regions: rich and fully flavored dishes from the North, spicy cuisine from the Northeast, more mild dishes influenced by the Chinese cooking style from the Central region, and hot and spicy cuisine from the South.

Drinks: My favorite is the Lychee Mojito.
Service: Very good.

Would I go back? Yes.

The menu has a wide variety of options.  All of the food was delicious.  The som tum thai lemongrass, red chili paste, bird eye chili and lime marinated shrimp had quite a kick.  The pla goong grilled chicken and beef satay served with coconut peanut sauce were very good.   I liked the soong tong chao suan crispy catfish served with green mango salad and cashew nuts.  The nam tok, sundried pork, with green apple som tum and sri racha is dried in house.  Try the moo daed diew chili flake calamari with  green apple som tum, and wasabi aioli. I loved the lobster Pad Thai entree. Mango Tree also has a variety of desserts to enjoy.  All in all, the food was tasty and the ambiance was fun.  Check it out for yourself soon!

Photo byGoran Foto



Mango Tree on Urbanspoon

No comments: